Ronaldo names Leandro Damião as his successor

In an interview for ESPN on Wednesday, ex-Brazil star Ronaldo spoke positively of the new striking star of Brazilian football: Leandro Damião.
Ronaldo spoke enthusiastically about the Internacional striker, who 'El Fenómeno' was happy to tip as his successor.

"He is a great player, great quality, very strong, very good in the air, something I never had," enthused Ronaldo.

"I think with time he will come through and we will have a great goal supply."

Ronaldo also reiterated his view that Neymar must make the move to Europe to continue his development.

"Neymar has to move to bigger things for him to conquer the world. If he plays in Europe as he is playing in Brazil, without doubt he will be very soon be the world's best," Ronaldo continued.

"I do not decide for him. If Neymar were to ask for my opinion, it would be for him to go to Europe and choose the best team for him.

"I hope Neymar is wise. He can not be limited only to Brazil."

Neymar is a member of the Brazil squad to face Costa Rica on Friday, whilst Leandro Damião is currently absent with injury.
Neymar Disputes Ronaldo Claims

At the Rock n' Rio festival on Sunday night, Neymar appeared on TV Globo to take part in a brief interview for the Domingão do Faustão programme.
When asked about former-Brazil striker Ronaldo's claims that Neymar must leave Santos, as he is 'limited in Brazil', the youngster was categorical with his response.

"I did not sign with anyone," Neymar stated adamently. I am commited to Santos and this is where I will stay."

Neymar had been linked heavily with a move to either Real Madrid or Barcelona in recent weeks, but the Brazil star is seemingly determined to stay in Brazil.

On his long term plans, Neymar was equally clear: "My dream is to win the 2014 World Cup, before all the Brazilian people."

It remains to be seen where he will be plying his day-to-day trade come 2014, with the odds heavily against it being in Brazil.